Written By: Hannah Hamilton 17′

My name is Hannah Hamilton I’m a senior here at Castleton University who just transferred this year from Burlington College in Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoorBurlington, Vermont. Burlington College closed last May right after graduation, so as a result of that, I had to find a new school to apply to, and fast. I heard about Castleton from one of my professors at Burlington College and decided to check it out. I was first drawn to the Art program here because I could concentrate on Photography, which was what my major was at BC, so the transition from there to here wouldn’t be as difficult. From there I looked over housing options here at Castleton and realized that the “Houses” looked pretty cool. The first one that grabbed my attention was North House, or in other terms, the brand new service themed house.

Throughout my high school years, I enjoyed going down to Tennessee to build and restore homes for people in the Appalachian Mountains. From this experience, I connected it to Service House and felt that this was the best fit for me to live in. I’ve always been inclined to help others and give back to the community, and I really enjoyed finding others who enjoyed the same. For that reason, I chose to live in North House last May while visiting Castleton. I liked that they gave back to the community and for each semester you have to fulfill a certain amount of hours. I personally enjoyed this dorm because it’s unlike any other residence hall on campus.

Living in this house, you dedicate 15 hours per semester to serving others. You go to different events on- or off-campus to help people that ask for help, or you reach out and organize something with them. These events vary from picking up trash after a big event or holiday weekend, to cheering on walkers at the Alzheimer’s walk/run event, and then freezing while helping people park Image may contain: 4 people, people standing and outdoorfor the Penguin Plunge on a cold  morning. All of the events that I mentioned were just a few of those which I participated in while living in this residence hall.

The benefit that you get from living in this house is helping others in your community. When I give back to others, it makes me feel good knowing that I was able to help them in any way that I can. You also get to bond with the other people living in the house because you carpool to different events and get to know others outside of the just living in the same space. When you are shy or new, these “mandatory” events allow you to open up and get to know others without doing it alone. I think this dorm is good for any year in college that you are, you can decide freshman year or even senior year to apply. It benefits everyone for different reasons and I believe that it helps everyone grow that much closer with their community outside of campus life. Sometimes as students and as people we need to look outside our bubble and realize that there are others who might need some help here and there, and not be afraid to step up and lend a helping hand.

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people standing and outdoor