Saving Money this Summer: Yes, It’s Possible!

For many college students, summer means making money. They work long hours during their vacation to earn money for the academic year. However, summer brings temptations of its own, including the urge to spend! Fortunately, with a little planning, you can enjoy the summer without losing all your savings.

1.) Fun = Free or Almost Free. You don’t need to plan extravagant outings to create memories with your friends and family. Many towns offer free outdoor concerts, festivals, and theater performances during the summer; check out your local newspaper for information about upcoming events. In addition, you can hike or swim at local or state parks for little or nothing.

2.) There’s always a cheaper option. Lunch and breakfast are less pricey than dinner; picnics and potlucks are less expensive than eating out. Matinees are cheaper than evening movies, DVD rentals and Netflix are even less expensive, and your local library will allow you to borrow DVDs for free. There’s nothing wrong with the odd splurge, but make sure your “treats” are occasional and special – otherwise, they’re not splurges, but reckless spending.

3.) Think daytrips, not vacations. Check out destinations – amusement parks, nature trails, museums, and events – within a four-hour drive of your home. If you don’t have to stay overnight, you’ll save money on meals and hotel fare.

4.) Keep it separated. Most adults have a checking account, which they use to pay their bills, and a savings account, which constitutes their savings. If you haven’t opened a savings account, now is the time. Allocate a certain amount of money to your savings account every pay period. You’ll be less likely to spend the money if it’s separate from the rest of your income.

5.) Do your financial aid homework. Even if you’re working a lot, you probably have extra time on your hands during the summer. Use some of it to research scholarship options for the next academic year. Check out Fastweb, College Board, and org to research scholarships. You may have to spend hours filling out applications and writing essays. Regard this the way you would any other job: something you have to do to earn money.

6.) Stay focused. Remind yourself of why you’re in college and what you hope to be one day. Saving money in the present will be much easier if you remember the future you want. While you’re at it, start taking steps toward your goal. You’ve probably heard about how crucial internships are for recent graduates. If you don’t have an internship lined up for this summer, use your downtime to research internship opportunities for the academic year or following summer. You might also request informational interviews with people who are working in your field.

Summer doesn’t have to mean having to choose between work and pleasure. With some mindfulness, you can a fun and frugal, relaxing and inspiring season that prepares you for the next academic year and the career you want.

-Dorothy A. Dahm

24 Comments

• JimmiNil

November 28, 2017 at 2:07 pm
  • yeezy shoes

December 6, 2017 at 2:37 am

I actually wanted to compose a small message to thank you for the magnificent items you are showing at this site. My considerable internet lookup has at the end been rewarded with awesome details to write about with my neighbours. I ‘d tell you that many of us site visitors actually are really endowed to dwell in a perfect site with many wonderful people with useful hints. I feel truly grateful to have encountered the website and look forward to so many more pleasurable moments reading here. Thanks again for all the details.

• adidas yeezy boost

December 6, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Needed to put you the very small observation to help thank you again with the magnificent ideas you have shared on this site. It has been so extremely open-handed with people like you giving unreservedly what exactly many of us might have offered for sale as an e book in making some money on their own, notably seeing that you might have done it in the event you desired. These thoughts also served like the easy way to be aware that some people have the same desire just as my personal own to see more and more related to this matter. I know there are thousands of more enjoyable times in the future for those who discover your blog.

• chrome hearts

December 6, 2017 at 4:59 pm

Thanks a lot for providing individuals with a very terrific opportunity to read from this site. It is always so useful and as well , jam-packed with amusement for me and my office friends to visit the blog at minimum 3 times per week to read through the latest guidance you will have. Of course, I’m also usually pleased with all the wonderful secrets you give. Certain two points in this posting are unquestionably the most suitable I’ve had.

• tory burch shoes

December 7, 2017 at 5:18 am

I intended to write you that little bit of observation to thank you as before on the amazing pointers you’ve shown in this case. It has been simply wonderfully open-handed of you to grant unhampered all a number of people would’ve made available as an e-book to earn some dough for their own end, notably now that you might well have tried it if you considered necessary. Those advice as well served like a good way to know that most people have similar keenness similar to my own to see somewhat more on the subject of this matter. Certainly there are thousands of more pleasurable instances in the future for those who see your blog.

• Thank you so much for providing individuals with an extraordinarily terrific opportunity to read articles and blog posts from this website. It is always so cool plus packed with fun for me and my office friends to visit your site at least 3 times a week to read the latest secrets you have got. And definitely, I am also actually fulfilled with your gorgeous creative ideas served by you. Certain 1 points in this article are surely the simplest we have all ever had.

• yeezy boost 350

December 7, 2017 at 9:15 am

I am just commenting to let you be aware of what a fine encounter our daughter obtained reading through your blog. She came to understand many pieces, including what it’s like to have an awesome giving mood to let many more smoothly learn about various specialized things. You really surpassed readers’ expected results. I appreciate you for coming up with such good, safe, informative and in addition cool tips about that topic to Julie.

• Whats up! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the nice information you will have right here on this post. I can be coming again to your blog for more soon.

• goyard handbags

December 8, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I have to convey my appreciation for your kind-heartedness for those who should have help with your theme. Your personal dedication to passing the solution across has been especially good and have all the time empowered somebody like me to attain their aims. This interesting recommendations denotes much to me and additionally to my office workers. With thanks; from each one of us.

• hermes belt

December 9, 2017 at 3:20 am

I would like to show my thanks to this writer for rescuing me from this type of matter. After exploring through the the web and coming across solutions which were not powerful, I thought my life was gone. Existing without the presence of approaches to the difficulties you’ve solved as a result of the short post is a critical case, and ones that would have in a negative way affected my career if I hadn’t discovered your web site. Your own personal training and kindness in handling all the stuff was precious. I’m not sure what I would have done if I had not come upon such a point like this. I am able to at this point look forward to my future. Thanks a lot so much for your specialized and results-oriented help. I won’t hesitate to refer the sites to any person who ought to have guide on this issue.

• adidas nmd

December 9, 2017 at 5:27 pm

I have to express my thanks to this writer for bailing me out of this circumstance. As a result of surfing through the world wide web and coming across views which are not helpful, I thought my life was over. Living without the presence of answers to the difficulties you have fixed by means of your entire write-up is a critical case, and those that could have in a negative way affected my entire career if I hadn’t discovered your site. Your good natural talent and kindness in maneuvering every item was crucial. I don’t know what I would’ve done if I had not encountered such a solution like this. I’m able to at this moment relish my future. Thank you very much for this high quality and effective guide. I will not be reluctant to recommend your site to any person who desires care about this topic.

• nike dunks

December 9, 2017 at 5:35 pm

I and also my guys appeared to be reviewing the great tactics from the blog while before long I got a terrible suspicion I had not thanked the blog owner for those tips. All of the ladies had been as a result thrilled to see them and have in effect actually been enjoying those things. We appreciate you getting considerably thoughtful and then for having certain perfect information millions of individuals are really wanting to learn about. My sincere regret for not expressing gratitude to sooner.

• michael kors handbags

December 10, 2017 at 7:26 am

My wife and i felt so excited Chris managed to finish up his investigation via the ideas he got from your own blog. It’s not at all simplistic to simply happen to be offering information most people may have been trying to sell. We figure out we need the writer to thank because of that. The most important illustrations you have made, the easy web site menu, the relationships your site make it possible to promote – it is mostly astonishing, and it is helping our son in addition to the family feel that the article is pleasurable, which is certainly really mandatory. Thank you for the whole thing!

• yeezy

December 10, 2017 at 11:17 am

My wife and i were absolutely thrilled Albert managed to round up his survey via the precious recommendations he grabbed while using the web site. It’s not at all simplistic just to continually be releasing tricks which usually people have been selling. And now we acknowledge we have got the writer to appreciate for this. The most important illustrations you’ve made, the easy website navigation, the relationships your site help to create – it’s got everything great, and it’s really helping our son in addition to us reason why the idea is interesting, and that is incredibly vital. Many thanks for all!

• yeezy boost 350

December 10, 2017 at 10:25 pm

I have to show my thanks to this writer just for rescuing me from this incident. As a result of searching throughout the the web and getting opinions that were not helpful, I thought my life was over. Being alive without the presence of approaches to the problems you have resolved all through your main post is a serious case, as well as those which may have badly affected my entire career if I had not encountered your site. Your primary mastery and kindness in controlling all things was precious. I’m not sure what I would have done if I had not come across such a thing like this. I’m able to at this point look ahead to my future. Thank you very much for the reliable and effective help. I will not be reluctant to recommend the website to any person who will need recommendations about this area.

• adidas nmd

December 11, 2017 at 4:31 am

I really wanted to develop a brief note in order to thank you for these fabulous ways you are giving out here. My rather long internet investigation has finally been recognized with good concept to write about with my two friends. I would state that that we readers are undoubtedly endowed to live in a remarkable place with very many marvellous people with good points. I feel somewhat blessed to have discovered the site and look forward to tons of more thrilling times reading here. Thanks a lot again for everything.

• jordan 4

December 11, 2017 at 12:31 pm

A lot of thanks for all of your efforts on this website. My aunt loves doing research and it’s easy to see why. My spouse and i hear all regarding the powerful manner you provide efficient strategies through your blog and in addition boost contribution from website visitors on that situation plus my girl is without question starting to learn a lot. Have fun with the rest of the new year. You are always carrying out a pretty cool job.

• nmd uk

December 11, 2017 at 9:33 pm

I wish to point out my respect for your kind-heartedness in support of people who actually need assistance with this particular matter. Your personal commitment to passing the solution all over appeared to be extraordinarily invaluable and have specifically allowed professionals like me to reach their goals. Your new warm and helpful hints and tips means a lot a person like me and especially to my colleagues. Thanks a lot; from each one of us.

• true religion outlet

December 12, 2017 at 12:56 am

I would like to point out my gratitude for your generosity for all those that need help with the concern. Your special dedication to passing the solution across came to be amazingly significant and has continually encouraged guys much like me to attain their desired goals. Your personal informative key points implies a great deal a person like me and extremely more to my peers. Best wishes; from everyone of us.

• adidas nmd

December 12, 2017 at 1:31 pm

I would like to show some thanks to the writer for rescuing me from this type of instance. As a result of surfing around throughout the online world and obtaining suggestions which are not pleasant, I assumed my entire life was gone. Being alive minus the approaches to the issues you have sorted out as a result of your entire article content is a serious case, as well as ones that might have negatively affected my entire career if I had not come across the website. Your actual skills and kindness in dealing with all the stuff was very useful. I’m not sure what I would have done if I had not encountered such a point like this. It’s possible to at this moment relish my future. Thank you so much for your skilled and results-oriented help. I will not be reluctant to refer the website to any person who needs and wants assistance about this area.

• ysl handbags

December 12, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Thanks a lot for providing individuals with remarkably pleasant possiblity to discover important secrets from this web site. It is usually so fantastic and also stuffed with fun for me and my office colleagues to visit your website really thrice in 7 days to read through the newest guidance you have got. And indeed, we are actually satisfied for the impressive concepts you give. Certain 2 ideas on this page are completely the most suitable I have ever had.

• calvin klein outlet

December 13, 2017 at 12:29 am

I simply wanted to develop a note to express gratitude to you for those pleasant hints you are showing on this website. My rather long internet research has finally been recognized with high-quality information to exchange with my family members. I ‘d assume that many of us visitors actually are unequivocally blessed to live in a great place with very many lovely individuals with helpful guidelines. I feel quite grateful to have seen the website page and look forward to tons of more amazing minutes reading here. Thanks again for all the details.

• yeezy boost

December 13, 2017 at 3:26 am

I truly wanted to construct a brief message in order to appreciate you for some of the remarkable tips you are placing at this website. My rather long internet research has finally been rewarded with good quality tips to talk about with my good friends. I ‘d declare that we readers are truly endowed to be in a magnificent community with very many perfect people with interesting concepts. I feel very fortunate to have used the site and look forward to so many more fun times reading here. Thank you once more for everything.

• air max 2018

December 13, 2017 at 2:25 pm

I would like to show some thanks to the writer just for bailing me out of this type of dilemma. Right after exploring throughout the the web and finding strategies which are not productive, I assumed my life was over. Being alive without the presence of solutions to the difficulties you have resolved by way of your website is a serious case, and ones that would have adversely damaged my entire career if I hadn’t discovered your website. That capability and kindness in dealing with all areas was very helpful. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t come upon such a stuff like this. I can now look ahead to my future. Thanks for your time so much for this professional and result oriented guide. I won’t think twice to suggest your web page to any person who needs care about this area.

Post a Comment