Volume 3.4

Boy has time flown! But it always does around this time of year, doesn’t it? (If you really want to get maudlin, you can ponder the reality that this is the penultimate semester of Castleton University. [Sure you can make arguments about J-term and summer but for the majority of our students this will be the case….])

It’s incredible how much we’ve gotten done in what has felt like the most intense semester yet. New hires and new structures have been made for VTSU. The curriculum for VTSU has almost all been submitted and approved (which means our first catalog will be developed soon). Still, we’ve also achieved many things right here on campus. The Coffee Cottage has re-opened. We’ve had innovative appreciation events including the recent Pie for Breakfast and Cookie Swap. A Christmas Carol has returned to the stage of the Fine Arts Center and we raised over $1,000 for the Feline Connection.

A few folks have remarked that we don’t seem to be attending as many events as we used to, and to some extent I think that’s true. For as quickly as it has passed, this has also been a long semester full of long work days, which can make it harder to find the energy to come out to campus for a game or event on the weekend or to stick around after work for a workshop or club meeting. I have felt that way several times this semester myself. What I have found though, is when I do manage to get there – it’s a reinvigorating experience. It reminds me of why I like my job and what makes Castleton so amazing. So thank you to all of you for participating when you are able – for making shirts and gratitude hands at Pie for Breakfast, for baking or eating cookies at the Cookie Swap, for helping student clubs organize their events and serving chicken nuggets at the Almost Midnight Pancake Breakfast, and otherwise just staying involved.

As we wrap up final exams week, your support team knows that everyone has been focused on the immediate tasks at hand. So for this issue, we thought we would gather some topics to peruse over break if you are interested in delving a little more deeply into some area of our work.

Here’s What’s Brewing:

And, in case you are looking for something even more substantial for your break, consider visiting the library’s Teaching and Learning Collection. Our library colleagues continue to collect the latest publications, and there is something there for most if not every facet of our work. Find it in the back shelves facing you on the left when you walk in the door.

By Gillian Galle