The following outlines what you can expect when inclement weather causes a closing or delay in classes and events at Castleton. Regardless of the University’s decision only you can decide whether it is safe to travel to campus. To expedite the removal of snow, everyone is responsible to park their vehicle in a place that does not hinder snow removal. Below is information that can help you avoid unnecessary problems during a snow event.
SCHOOL CLOSINGS AND DELAYS
If weather dictates that classes or events could be canceled or delayed:
1. If you are registered, a message will be sent to your Castleton email account along with a cell text/voice call via Castleton Alerts, powered by EverBridge
2. Call the Castleton Closing Line 802-468-6043 to obtain detailed information regarding the closing of the University, or for information on cancelations of individual classes and/or campus related events. Please avoid calling to the main number (802-468-1215) for snow closure information so that it remains clear for emergencies.
3. The college will report delays or cancelations through the following local radio and television stations:
a. FM Radio – 98.1, 105.3, 94.5, 97.1, 94.1
b. AM Radio – 1340, 1380
c. Television – PEGTV Channels 15, 20, 21 on local cable, local NBC Affiliates WPTZ (channel 5 on local cable) and WNNE (channel 31 on local cable), local CBS affiliate WCAX (channel 3 on local cable)
4. Information will be posted on the Castleton Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CastletonEdu/ . You do not need to be a member of Facebook to view the information on this page.
SNOW REMOVAL FROM PARKING LOTS
1. Commuters/ Faculty and Staff: Lots designated for these groups are Day Lots and must remain empty between the hours of 1:00 AM and 6:00 AM. Contact Public Safety at 468- 1215 to notify/obtain permission when your vehicle is disabled or must be in a day lot between those hours. Vehicles in Day Lots between 1:00 AM and 6:00 AM will be towed at the owner’s expense.
2. Resident Students: The Public Safety Office will give notice via email, flyers, and over the campus radio station WIUV when the removal of snow will occur from Residential Lots. The notice will outline which lots will be cleared, where vehicles can be moved, and the deadline by when vehicles must be moved. The announcements will be titled “SNOW EMERGENCY”. Resident students are responsible for following Snow Removal Directives. Failure to do so will result in the vehicle being towed at the owner’s expense.
Please contact Public Safety with any questions or concerns regarding this policy. Thanks in advance your time, attention and cooperation with this important matter.
*Photo credit: Aditya Vyas on Unsplash; snowfall