Message bubble containing ellipses

Student Success: Checking On Your Students’ Well-Being

The following is a special message from the Castleton Wellness Committee:

Dear Faculty,

When you have students who miss a class or exam,  how are you handling that?

In these pandemic times, it’s perhaps more crucial than ever to take a couple of minutes to reach out and simply ask if they’re OK?

When worried about a student there are ways to ask that may help them respond with more than the dreaded “I’m fine.” As we know, they are probably, in fact, not “fine.”  Here are a few ways to get you started on that email or text message.

If you’ve noticed a change in behavior ask about it.

•  “I’ve noticed you haven’t been to class lately. Is there anything on your mind?”
  • “You were really quiet in class the last couple of meetings. I’m concerned. what’s been going on?”

Asking open-ended questions is also helpful in receiving more information, sometimes it’s as simple as:

• “Tell me, how things are going for you?”
  • “What’s been going on lately?”

A few other ways to prompt a difficult conversation may be:

• “I’ve been thinking about you and wondered if there was anything you’d like to talk about.”
  • “This pandemic is hard.  What’s been the hardest part for you?” 
  • “I noticed you didn’t hand in the assignment and that’s not like you, how can I support you right now?”

Try not to worry about their response. You do not have to solve their problems.  Just be ready to respond empathetically:

• “That sounds really hard.”
  • “That is a lot to carry for one person.”
  • “Thank you for sharing that with me. I know it’s not easy to share difficult things.”
  • “Wow, I had no idea you were dealing with so much. Thanks for sharing.”

And share resources:

• “I’ve attached a link to resources that can help that are on and off campus, but know I’m here to listen if you need to talk.”   https://www.castleton.edu/campus-life/student-resources/health-wellness/
  • “I’m here to listen and I’d also encourage you contact the Wellness Center.  They might be able to help more than I can.”
  • “I’m very worried about you and I’d like to have someone check in with you soonould that be ok?”

Students are feeling more isolated than ever before, and sometimes a simple nudge, that simple message of caring and wanting to help, goes so far in their lives and gives them the jolt they need to get back on track. Most of you undoubtedly do this already, especially after multiple absences. But we’re suggesting reaching out even for a single miss. Let them know we care, we missed them, and we’re here for them. A little gesture that takes so little time might make a huge difference in a student struggling with pandemic life.

Thank you for the many ways you support our students!

Castleton Wellness Committee

By Gillian Galle

One Comment