Castleton students, faculty and staff are eligible to install Office on up to five computers or mobile devices free of charge. The process is easy.
- If you currently have a trial version of Office on your computer, uninstall it first.
- Login to your Castleton portal at http://portal.vsc.edu
- Click on the “Castleton Email Access” link.
- Once you’re in your Office 365 email, click on the Office 365 button in the upper left corner of your page.
- If your computer is running an operating system compatible with Office 2016, you’ll get a screen titled “Install Office 2016 on your Mac/PC”. If your operating system isn’t compatible, you’ll see an option on the page to install an older version of office – 2011 for Mac or 2013 for PC. Click the “Install now” button.
- When prompted, click to save the installer file. The way this appears on your screen will depend on the OS and browser you are using. It may be a pop-up or it may appear as a banner at the bottom of your browser window.
- Click or double-click the file to run it. The file may appear in your “Downloads” folder or at the bottom of your browser. Follow the installation instructions on your screen.
- Once installed, launch one of the Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc). You will be asked to activate Office with an email and password. Use your Castleton email address in this format: email@example.com (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org) and your password. You will only need to do this once.
If you have any questions or run into any problems, please contact us at email@example.com or at (802) 468-1221.